Shoelaces are an essential accessory for any shoe, regardless of the style and type. We all use them in our daily lives, but many of us don't realise that there are actually many different types of shoelaces with distinct features. So, let's take a look at some of the most common types of shoelaces you may come across.
The different types of shoelaces
Here are some of the most popular types of shoelaces and their main advantages and drawbacks:
- Rawhide: Rawhide shoelaces are mostly used for moccasins and boat shoes. They are strong and durable, but stiff and tend to come undone.
- Flat cotton: Typically used for tennis shoes and trainers, flat cotton shoelaces are cheap, easy to wash and replace, but not very durable.
- Round cotton: A bit heavier and stronger than the previous type, round cotton shoelaces are used for dress shoes and leather shoes.
- Flat waxed: These shoelaces are made of cotton, with the addition of a wax coating. The coating makes them stronger and weatherproof, which is why flat waxed laces are used on heavy-duty boots.
- Nylon: Nylon shoelaces are very strong, durable and waterproof, making them particularly suitable for hiking boots, military boots and every kind of outdoors shoe. However, the synthetic material they’re made from is stiffer and more expensive than cotton.
- Polyester: Polyester shoelaces are light, durable and water-resistant. They are available in two varieties, textured polyester and spun polyester. The former looks better, but the latter is stronger. Polyester shoelaces are versatile and used on a wide variety of shoes, but most commonly on work and sports shoes.
- Elastic: These laces are made from stretchy material, allowing them to be easily pulled tight without the need for tying. They provide a snug fit and will basically turn a laced shoe into a slip-on shoe! However, they are not very durable.
How to choose the right type of shoelace
There are a lot of different types of shoelaces out there, and it can be tough to know which one is right for you. The best type of shoelace is the one that fits your shoes and, most of all, your needs and preferences.
If you're looking for a casual, everyday lace for your trainers, then a standard cotton lace is perfect. It might not be very durable, but it won’t be expensive to replace. If you're looking for something a little more durable, then a polyester or nylon lace might be better. These shoelaces are especially suited to outdoor activities, thanks to their weather-resistant properties.
For more formal occasions, you might want to consider a round lace. These laces are thicker than flat laces and give off a more sophisticated look. They also come in a wide range of colours and sizes to match any outfit. Finally, if you’re looking for superior comfort, you should consider elastic laces. These laces are perfect for sports or other activities where you need extra flexibility in your footwear.
One more thing: no matter the type of shoelace, it’s important to make sure it’s the right size for your shoes. Too long or too short, and they won’t provide the same level of comfort or support that the right length will offer. Thanks for reading, and we hope to see you soon!
If you're looking for a way to switch up your style, there's no better place than Finily.com! Our selection of trainers is unmatched, and with our range of colours, patterns and designs you'll be sure to find something to take your look to the next level.